Minecraft composter : how to make and use it ?

A composter in Minecraft is a block that transforms certain biological and vegetable matter into bone powder. It also serves as a work block for villagers

minecraft composter
A composter.

How do you make a composter in Minecraft ?

Making a composter isn’t complicated, provided you’ve got the right ingredients to hand. All you need are 7 slabs (of any type) arranged in a U-shape.

minecraft composter craft
Composter craft in Minecraft

Natural generation of the composter

Composters can be generated naturally on any farm, although you’ll need to find a village first.

How does the composter work in Minecraft ?

Composters recycle food and plant matter into bone meal.

Fill level

To do this, the player must use one of the composter’s objects. The composter has a “limit”, the height of which depends on the fill level.

minecraft filled composter
A filled composter.

When the composter is completely empty, this floor is slightly above the block below, and when it’s completely full, there’s a slight dip at the top. As the composter fills, all the units inside will be pushed up accordingly [Bedrock version only].

Visit the official Wiki to see a list of all the ingredients you can put in a composter : Composter on the Minecraft Wiki US

Composting system

The composter can be filled with compost by adding compostable objects. A green particle appears when an object is successfully added. The higher the percentage of an object, the more likely it is that another layer of compost will be added. Each layer of compost has the appearance of a pod. When the composter reaches the 7th layer of compost, the appearance of the compost changes, indicating that the bone meal can be collected using the composter one last time.

For example, wheat seeds have a 30% chance of increasing the level of the composter, meaning that wheat seeds will be consumed unnecessarily 70% of the time.

minecraft ready composter
A ready-made composter with bone powder.

Smaller pieces (individual pieces of wheat, melon slices, etc.) will produce more compost than blocks or other objects that can be made from them. Cookies are an exception, as each recipe yields 8 cookies, and together they produce more than 3 times as much compost.

Changing jobs

If a village has a composter that has not been claimed by a villager, any villager who has not already chosen a task block has a chance to change profession to farmer.


A composter can serve as a redstone power source for a redstone comparator. With a composter behind it (either directly, or separated by an unpowered solid block), a comparator emits a signal of intensity between 0 and 8, proportional to how full the composter is : 0 for empty, 1 for 1⁄7 full, 2 for 2⁄7 full, and so on up to 6. 7 corresponds to completely full but the bone powder is not ready to be collected, and 8 to completely full and the bone powder is ready to be collected. However, if there is a block between the composter and the comparator, the comparator does not update immediately.


Composters can interact with funnels. A funnel located directly under a composter draws bone meal from it. A downward-facing funnel or dropper directly above a composter pushes objects into it.

Funnels cannot interact with the corners of a composter.

5 / 5 - (1 vote)

Leave a Comment