Alex’s Caves is a mod for Minecraft that adds five new cave biomes to the normal world. These biomes are extremely rare, but offer a variety of unique blocks, objects, creatures and mechanisms. Note that the mod’s author is also behind the famous Alex’s Mobs.
Alex’s Caves mod features
- Cave shelves and caving tables : These items are essential for getting started with the mod. Cave tablets can be found in underground huts and are necessary for research on the caving table.
- Underground huts : These structures can appear in all Overworld biomes and are the best source of cave tablets. They also contain Looting items and a caving table.
- Caving table research : Once you have a caving table and cave tablets, you can start translating the inscriptions on the tablets. This process can be time-consuming and requires paper.
- Cave Codex : After completing research on a cave tablet, you will obtain a Cave Codex which can be used to create a cave biome map or to unlock entries in the Cave Compendium.
- Cave biome map : This map guides you to the nearest cave biome based on the Cave Codex used to craft it.
The mod adds 5 new rare cave biomes that generate in the lower parts of the normal world :
- Magnetic Caves : A dark biome filled with luminous neodymium crystals and galena. It is inhabited by powerful mechanical and magnetic creatures such as Teletor and Magnetron.
- Primordial Caves : A luminous, verdant and expansive cave biome lit by ceiling-lit Ambersols. It is populated by numerous prehistoric creatures such as the dinosaurs Grottoceratops and Tremorsaurus.
- Toxic Caves : A dark and dangerous cave biome filled with bubbling acid and radioactive uranium. Populated by apocalyptic monsters such as Brainiacs and Nucleepers.
- Abyssal Chasm : An underwater biome found exclusively beneath the surface oceans, filled with tubeworms and strange ruins. Home to the mighty Deep Ones and Hullbreaker.
- Forlorn Hollows : An extremely dark biome composed of Guanostone and brimming with evil forces. Dangerous Underzealots patrol the area, seeking sacrifices to create Watchers and Forsaken.
How to play Alex’s Caves
- First steps : Find an underground cabin and collect cave tablets and a caving table.
- Search : Place the caving table and start searching using the cave tablets and paper.
- Translation : Follow the on-screen instructions to translate the inscriptions on the tablets.
- Obtaining the Cave Codex : Once you’ve completed your research, you’ll receive a Cave Codex.
- Create cave biome map : Use the Cave Codex and eight papers to create a cave biome map.